Download data

Powerbroker for

Select an assessment year:

  • Overall approach
    1/14
    • Overarching commitment on deforestation
      0/6
    • Signatory to an initiative tackling deforestation
      0/1
    • Awareness of the value of forests
      1/1
      Awareness
      Yes
      1/1
      "The increased demand for palm oil has led to deforestation of tropical rain forests and threats to the endangered species that live there."
    • Target to reduce emissions from land-use change
      0/3
    • Reporting on emissions from land-use change
      0/3
  • Commodity score
    17/86
    • Palm oil
      23/86
      • Commitment Strength
        10/36
        • Commitment to protect priority forests
          10/15
          • Commitment details
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Type of commitment: Zero deforestation
            Certification schemes mentioned: RSPO
            "Hain Celestial is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and supports their key principles and the RSPO NEXT criteria. According to the Hain Celestial RSPO 2017 Annual Communication of Progress Report, 1,995 tons, or 87% of thepalm oil volume used in our global foods portfolio is certified sustainable palmoil through RSPO-certified physical supply chains [...] While the remaining 13% is currently covered by RSPO credits, our goal is to have all palm oil RSPO-certified."
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            "Hain Celestial is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and supports their key principles and the RSPO NEXT criteria. According to the Hain Celestial RSPO 2017 Annual Communication of Progress Report, 1,995 tons, or 87% of thepalm oil volume used in our global foods portfolio is certified sustainable palmoil through RSPO-certified physical supply chains [...] While the remaining 13% is currently covered by RSPO credits, our goal is to have all palm oil RSPO-certified."
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            "Hain Celestial is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and supports their key principles and the RSPO NEXT criteria. According to the Hain Celestial RSPO 2017 Annual Communication of Progress Report, 1,995 tons, or 87% of thepalm oil volume used in our global foods portfolio is certified sustainable palmoil through RSPO-certified physical supply chains [...] While the remaining 13% is currently covered by RSPO credits, our goal is to have all palm oil RSPO-certified."
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "Hain Celestial is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and supports their key principles and the RSPO NEXT criteria. According to the Hain Celestial RSPO 2017 Annual Communication of Progress Report, 1,995 tons, or 87% of thepalm oil volume used in our global foods portfolio is certified sustainable palmoil through RSPO-certified physical supply chains [...] While the remaining 13% is currently covered by RSPO credits, our goal is to have all palm oil RSPO-certified."
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "Hain Celestial is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and supports their key principles and the RSPO NEXT criteria. According to the Hain Celestial RSPO 2017 Annual Communication of Progress Report, 1,995 tons, or 87% of thepalm oil volume used in our global foods portfolio is certified sustainable palmoil through RSPO-certified physical supply chains [...] While the remaining 13% is currently covered by RSPO credits, our goal is to have all palm oil RSPO-certified."
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
        • Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
          0/11
          • Commitment details
            No
            0/4
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
        • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
          0/11
          • Commitment details
            No traceability commitment
            0/4
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
      • Reporting and Implementation
        9/34
        • Reporting against commitments
          2/6
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            2/2
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            2/2
            "Hain Celestial is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and supports their key principles and the RSPO NEXT criteria. According to the Hain Celestial RSPO 2017 Annual Communication of Progress Report, 1,995 tons, or 87% of thepalm oil volume used in our global foods portfolio is certified sustainable palmoil through RSPO-certified physical supply chains [...] While the remaining 13% is currently covered by RSPO credits, our goal is to have all palm oil RSPO-certified."
          • Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
            No
            0/2
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/2
        • Reporting is independently verified
          1/4
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            certification
            "Hain Celestial is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and supports their key principles and the RSPO NEXT criteria. According to the Hain Celestial RSPO 2017 Annual Communication of Progress Report, 1,995 tons, or 87% of thepalm oil volume used in our global foods portfolio is certified sustainable palmoil through RSPO-certified physical supply chains [...] While the remaining 13% is currently covered by RSPO credits, our goal is to have all palm oil RSPO-certified."
          • Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
            No
            0/1.3
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/1.3
        • Deforestation cut off date
          No
          0/2
        • Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
        • Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          Engage with suppliers but with no time-bound threat of exclusion
          2/4
          Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          Engage with suppliers but with no time-bound threat of exclusion
          2/4
          "In the event that Hain Celestial becomes aware of any actions or conditions not in compliance with the Supplier Code of Conduct, Hain Celestial reserves the right to demand corrective measures or to terminate an agreement with such supplier."
        • Publishing supplier lists
          No disclosure
          0/4
        • Accessible grievance mechanism
          No
          0/4
        • Collaborative actions
          No
          0/2
        • Report volumes of commodity
          Full
          4/4
          Report volumes of commodity
          Full
          4/4
          2,287 tonnes
          Hain Celestial report total palm oil usage in the 2017 RSPO ACOP.
      • Social Considerations
        4/16
        • Commitment to ensure Free, Prior and Informed Consent
          No
          0/4
        • Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Discrimination; Forced Labour; Child Labour; Freedom of association
          Hain Celestial group commit their suppliers to ensure their worker's right to have freedom of association, and to be free from discrimination, forced labour, child labour.
        • Gender equality in the supply chain
          No commitment
          0/4
        • Inclusion of small-scale farmers
          No
          0/4
    • Soy
      4/86
      • Commitment Strength
        0/36
        • Commitment to protect priority forests
          0/21
          • Commitment details
            No commitment
            0/10.7
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1.5
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/2
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/2
        • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
          0/15
          • Commitment details
            No traceability commitment
            0/5.3
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1.5
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/2
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/2
      • Reporting and Implementation
        0/34
        • Reporting against commitments
          0/6
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            No
            0/3
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/3
        • Reporting is independently verified
          0/4
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            No
            0/2
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/2
        • Deforestation cut off date
          No
          0/2
        • Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
        • Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          No engagement or exclusion
          0/4
        • Publishing supplier lists
          No disclosure
          0/4
        • Accessible grievance mechanism
          No
          0/4
        • Collaborative actions
          No
          0/2
        • Report volumes of commodity
          No reporting
          0/4
      • Social Considerations
        4/16
        • Commitment to ensure Free, Prior and Informed Consent
          No
          0/4
        • Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Discrimination; Forced Labour; Child Labour; Freedom of association
          Hain Celestial group commit their suppliers to ensure their worker's right to have freedom of association, and to be free from discrimination, forced labour, child labour.
        • Gender equality in the supply chain
          No commitment
          0/4
        • Inclusion of small-scale farmers
          No
          0/4
    • Pulp & Paper
      24/86
      • Commitment Strength
        16/36
        • Commitment to protect priority forests
          10/15
          • Commitment details
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Type of commitment: Protects priority forests; Certification
            Certification schemes mentioned: Other (specify)
            If Other, specify here: Not specified
            "For [paper and board] containing virgin fiber, [Hain Celestial] look to source from certified sustainable, well-managed forests, and give purchasing preference to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified products."
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            "For [paper and board] containing virgin fiber, [Hain Celestial] look to source from certified sustainable, well-managed forests, and give purchasing preference to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified products."
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            "For [paper and board] containing virgin fiber, [Hain Celestial] look to source from certified sustainable, well-managed forests, and give purchasing preference to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified products."
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "For [paper and board] containing virgin fiber, [Hain Celestial] look to source from certified sustainable, well-managed forests, and give purchasing preference to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified products."
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "For [paper and board] containing virgin fiber, [Hain Celestial] look to source from certified sustainable, well-managed forests, and give purchasing preference to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified products."
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
            Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
            Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
        • Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
          6/11
          • Commitment details
            Yes
            4/4
            Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
            Yes
            4/4
            Type of commitment: Recycled content
            "Whenever possible, we look to utilize pre- or post-consumer recycled paperboard, FSC-certified paperboard, or even tree-free packaging. Many of our brands already utilize 100% recycled paperboard."
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            "Whenever possible, we look to utilize pre- or post-consumer recycled paperboard, FSC-certified paperboard, or even tree-free packaging. Many of our brands already utilize 100% recycled paperboard."
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            "Whenever possible, we look to utilize pre- or post-consumer recycled paperboard, FSC-certified paperboard, or even tree-free packaging. Many of our brands already utilize 100% recycled paperboard."
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
            Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
            "Whenever possible, we look to utilize pre- or post-consumer recycled paperboard, FSC-certified paperboard, or even tree-free packaging. Many of our brands already utilize 100% recycled paperboard."
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
            Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
            "Whenever possible, we look to utilize pre- or post-consumer recycled paperboard, FSC-certified paperboard, or even tree-free packaging. Many of our brands already utilize 100% recycled paperboard."
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
            Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
            "Whenever possible, we look to utilize pre- or post-consumer recycled paperboard, FSC-certified paperboard, or even tree-free packaging. Many of our brands already utilize 100% recycled paperboard."
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
        • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
          0/11
          • Commitment details
            No traceability commitment
            0/4
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
      • Reporting and Implementation
        4/34
        • Reporting against commitments
          2/6
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            No
            0/2
          • Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
            Yes
            2/2
            Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
            Yes
            2/2
            "Many of our brands already utilize 100% recycled paperboard."  
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/2
        • Reporting is independently verified
          0/4
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            No
            0/1.3
          • Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
            No
            0/1.3
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/1.3
        • Deforestation cut off date
          No
          0/2
        • Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
        • Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          Engage with suppliers but with no time-bound threat of exclusion
          2/4
          Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          Engage with suppliers but with no time-bound threat of exclusion
          2/4
          "In the event that Hain Celestial becomes aware of any actions or conditions not in compliance with the Supplier Code of Conduct, Hain Celestial reserves the right to demand corrective measures or to terminate an agreement with such supplier."
        • Publishing supplier lists
          No disclosure
          0/4
        • Accessible grievance mechanism
          No
          0/4
        • Collaborative actions
          No
          0/2
        • Report volumes of commodity
          No reporting
          0/4
      • Social Considerations
        4/16
        • Commitment to ensure Free, Prior and Informed Consent
          No
          0/4
        • Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Discrimination; Forced Labour; Child Labour; Freedom of association
          Hain Celestial group commit their suppliers to ensure their worker's right to have freedom of association, and to be free from discrimination, forced labour, child labour.
        • Gender equality in the supply chain
          No commitment
          0/4
        • Inclusion of small-scale farmers
          No
          0/4
  • Commitment strength
    9/36
    Avg. score
  • Reporting and Implementation
    4/34
    Avg. score
  • Social considerations
    4/16
    Avg. score

Profile

Hain Celestial Group, Inc. is an American food and personal care manufacturing company operating across North America and Europe.

Sector
Industry sector 
Packaged food
Segments
Manufacturer
HQ
HQ 
United States
Collective Commitments
Consumer Goods Forum member
New York Declaration on Forests signatory

Top Brands

Alba botanica, Avalon organics, Bearitos, Blue Print Organic, Candle Café Vegan, Casbah, Celestial Seasonings, De Boles, Dream, Earth's best, Ella's Kitchen, Fountain of truth, Garden of Eatin, Exceptional Fiber, Hain Pure foods, Health Valley, Hollywood, Imagine, Jason, Live Clean, Maranatha, Nile Spice, Queen Helene, Rudis, Sensible Portions, Spectrum, Terra, The Greek Gods, Walnut Acres, Westbrae Natural, Westsoy, Yves

How we assess the Forest 500

To ensure deforestation free supply chains, companies need to adopt and implement timebound and measurable policies for forest risk commodities.

All assessments use policies published on company websites, some links may have changed or been removed since the time of assessment.

Disclaimer

This assessment has been carried out following the methodology developed for the Forest 500 project, available here. Please see our disclaimer applicable to all information contained within this site and our terms and conditions for use of data presented on this site.

All assessments use policies published on company and financial institution websites, and while we endeavor to keep them updated some links may have changed or been removed since the time of assessment.

Please contact us with any concerns or feedback about this or other assessments included in the Forest 500.