Download data

Powerbroker for

Select an assessment year:

  • Overall approach
    2/14
    • Overarching commitment on deforestation
      0/6
    • Signatory to an initiative tackling deforestation
      1/1
      Signatory
      Yes
      1/1
      UN Global Compact
      DSM are a member of the UN Global Compact.
    • Awareness of the value of forests
      1/1
      Awareness
      Yes
      1/1
      "People depend on forests. They are an important resource and essential to our ecosystem. Forests improve air quality, protect watersheds, prevent soil erosion, and provide habitats for animals. They also help mitigate climate change. Destroying forests, also called deforestation, causes about 15% of global greenhouse gas emissions."
    • Target to reduce emissions from land-use change
      0/3
    • Reporting on emissions from land-use change
      0/3
  • Commodity score
    23/86
    • Palm oil
      37/86
      • Commitment Strength
        23/36
        • Commitment to protect priority forests
          13/15
          • Commitment details
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Type of commitment: Zero deforestation
            Certification schemes mentioned: RSPO
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Target date
            2020
            1.2/1.3
            Target date
            2020
            1.2/1.3
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Target is quantifiable
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            Target is quantifiable
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
        • Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
          11/11
          • Commitment details
            Yes
            4/4
            Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
            Yes
            4/4
            Type of commitment: HCS; Peat
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Target date
            2020
            1.2/1.3
            Target date
            2020
            1.2/1.3
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Target is quantifiable
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            Target is quantifiable
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
        • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
          0/11
          • Commitment details
            No traceability commitment
            0/4
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
      • Reporting and Implementation
        9/34
        • Reporting against commitments
          4/6
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            2/2
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            2/2
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
            Yes
            2/2
            Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
            Yes
            2/2
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/2
        • Reporting is independently verified
          3/4
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            certification
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            Commitment to protect High Carbon Stock areas and/or peatlands
            Yes
            1.3/1.3
            certification
            "At DSM, all palm oil purchases are made according to RSPO standards and procedures [...] DSM’s objective is to use 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil and oil palm products using RSPO “Mass Balance” supply chain models by 2020." "In 2017 [...] 84% was directly RSPO certified under the “Mass Balance” and “Segregation” supply chain models [...] The remaining 16% (214 metric tonnes) was sourced under “Book & Claim” RSPO credits."
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/1.3
        • Deforestation cut off date
          No
          0/2
        • Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
        • Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          No engagement or exclusion
          0/4
          Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          No engagement or exclusion
          0/4
        • Publishing supplier lists
          No disclosure
          0/4
        • Accessible grievance mechanism
          No
          0/4
        • Collaborative actions
          No
          0/2
        • Report volumes of commodity
          Partial
          2/4
          Report volumes of commodity
          Partial
          2/4
          1,249 tonnes
          Koninklijke DSM reported their total 2018 palm oil usage in a 2018 RSPO ACOP.
      • Social Considerations
        5/16
        • Commitment to ensure Free, Prior and Informed Consent
          No
          0/4
        • Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Discrimination; Forced Labour; Child Labour; Freedom of association
          Koninklijke DSM require their suppliers to ensure their workers have freedom of association, and to be free from forced labour, child labour and discrimination. 
        • Gender equality in the supply chain
          Discrimination/Gender Rights/Harassment
          1/4
          Gender equality in the supply chain
          Discrimination/Gender Rights/Harassment
          1/4
          Koninklijke DSM require their suppliers to ensure workers are not discriminated against based on gender.
        • Inclusion of small-scale farmers
          No
          0/4
    • Soy
      19/86
      • Commitment Strength
        9/36
        • Commitment to protect priority forests
          9/21
          • Commitment details
            Sustainability commitment
            2.7/10.7
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Sustainability commitment
            2.7/10.7
            Certification schemes mentioned: Proterra
            Type of commitment: Certification; Sustainability commitment
            "In 2017, DSM procured 11,000 metric tonnes of soy bean meal entirely from Proterra-certified suppliers." and "also procured 130 MT of soy flour in 2017 of which 30% (40 metric tonnes) was certified by Proterra."
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            "In 2017, DSM procured 11,000 metric tonnes of soy bean meal entirely from Proterra-certified suppliers." and "also procured 130 MT of soy flour in 2017 of which 30% (40 metric tonnes) was certified by Proterra."
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            "In 2017, DSM procured 11,000 metric tonnes of soy bean meal entirely from Proterra-certified suppliers." and "also procured 130 MT of soy flour in 2017 of which 30% (40 metric tonnes) was certified by Proterra."
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            "In 2017, DSM procured 11,000 metric tonnes of soy bean meal entirely from Proterra-certified suppliers." and "also procured 130 MT of soy flour in 2017 of which 30% (40 metric tonnes) was certified by Proterra."
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1.5/1.5
            "In 2017, DSM procured 11,000 metric tonnes of soy bean meal entirely from Proterra-certified suppliers." and "also procured 130 MT of soy flour in 2017 of which 30% (40 metric tonnes) was certified by Proterra."
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/2
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/2
        • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
          0/15
          • Commitment details
            No traceability commitment
            0/5.3
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1.5
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1.5
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/2
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/2
      • Reporting and Implementation
        5/34
        • Reporting against commitments
          3/6
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            3/3
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            3/3
            "In 2017, DSM procured 11,000 metric tonnes of soy bean meal entirely from Proterra-certified suppliers." and "also procured 130 MT of soy flour in 2017 of which 30% (40 metric tonnes) was certified by Proterra."
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/3
        • Reporting is independently verified
          2/4
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            2/2
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Yes
            2/2
            certification
            "In 2017, DSM procured 11,000 metric tonnes of soy bean meal entirely from Proterra-certified suppliers." and "also procured 130 MT of soy flour in 2017 of which 30% (40 metric tonnes) was certified by Proterra."
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/2
        • Deforestation cut off date
          No
          0/2
        • Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
          Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
        • Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          No engagement or exclusion
          0/4
          Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          No engagement or exclusion
          0/4
        • Publishing supplier lists
          No disclosure
          0/4
        • Accessible grievance mechanism
          No
          0/4
        • Collaborative actions
          No
          0/2
        • Report volumes of commodity
          No reporting
          0/4
      • Social Considerations
        5/16
        • Commitment to ensure Free, Prior and Informed Consent
          No
          0/4
        • Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Discrimination; Forced Labour; Child Labour; Freedom of association
          Koninklijke DSM require their suppliers to ensure their workers have freedom of association, and to be free from forced labour, child labour and discrimination. 
        • Gender equality in the supply chain
          Discrimination/Gender Rights/Harassment
          1/4
          Gender equality in the supply chain
          Discrimination/Gender Rights/Harassment
          1/4
          Koninklijke DSM require their suppliers to ensure workers are not discriminated against based on gender.
        • Inclusion of small-scale farmers
          No
          0/4
    • Pulp & Paper
      15/86
      • Commitment Strength
        10/36
        • Commitment to protect priority forests
          10/15
          • Commitment details
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Commitment to protect priority forests
            Forest-related commitment
            6/8
            Type of commitment: Protects priority forests; Certification
            Certification schemes mentioned: FSC; PEFC
            "When sourcing pallets, DSM gives preference to suppliers who can demonstrate that at least 70% of their products originate from sustainably-managed forests with a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/PEFC certification." "Going forward our ambition is to have our supplier use at least 80% of their wood consumption from FSC / PEFC certified forest."
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            Yes
            1/1
            "When sourcing pallets, DSM gives preference to suppliers who can demonstrate that at least 70% of their products originate from sustainably-managed forests with a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/PEFC certification." "Going forward our ambition is to have our supplier use at least 80% of their wood consumption from FSC / PEFC certified forest."
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all operations
            Yes
            1/1
            "When sourcing pallets, DSM gives preference to suppliers who can demonstrate that at least 70% of their products originate from sustainably-managed forests with a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/PEFC certification." "Going forward our ambition is to have our supplier use at least 80% of their wood consumption from FSC / PEFC certified forest."
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "When sourcing pallets, DSM gives preference to suppliers who can demonstrate that at least 70% of their products originate from sustainably-managed forests with a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/PEFC certification." "Going forward our ambition is to have our supplier use at least 80% of their wood consumption from FSC / PEFC certified forest."
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            Yes
            1/1
            "When sourcing pallets, DSM gives preference to suppliers who can demonstrate that at least 70% of their products originate from sustainably-managed forests with a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/PEFC certification." "Going forward our ambition is to have our supplier use at least 80% of their wood consumption from FSC / PEFC certified forest."
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
        • Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
          0/11
          • Commitment details
            No
            0/4
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
        • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
          0/11
          • Commitment details
            No traceability commitment
            0/4
          • Commitment applies to all sourcing regions
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all operations
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all direct suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Commitment applies to all indirect suppliers
            No
            0/1
          • Target date
            No deadline
            0/1.3
          • Target is quantifiable
            No
            0/1.3
      • Reporting and Implementation
        0/34
        • Reporting against commitments
          0/6
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            No
            0/2
          • Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
            No
            0/2
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/2
        • Reporting is independently verified
          0/4
          • Commitment to protect priority forests
            No
            0/1.3
          • Commitment to reduce use of virgin wood fibre
            No
            0/1.3
          • Commitment to a traceable supply chain
            No
            0/1.3
        • Deforestation cut off date
          No
          0/2
        • Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
          Monitoring and verification of supplier compliance
          No monitoring
          0/4
        • Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          No engagement or exclusion
          0/4
          Engagement with non-compliant suppliers
          No engagement or exclusion
          0/4
        • Publishing supplier lists
          No disclosure
          0/4
        • Accessible grievance mechanism
          No
          0/4
        • Collaborative actions
          No
          0/2
        • Report volumes of commodity
          No reporting
          0/4
      • Social Considerations
        5/16
        • Commitment to ensure Free, Prior and Informed Consent
          No
          0/4
        • Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Labour rights in the supply chain
          Yes
          4/4
          Discrimination; Forced Labour; Child Labour; Freedom of association
          Koninklijke DSM require their suppliers to ensure their workers have freedom of association, and to be free from forced labour, child labour and discrimination. 
        • Gender equality in the supply chain
          Discrimination/Gender Rights/Harassment
          1/4
          Gender equality in the supply chain
          Discrimination/Gender Rights/Harassment
          1/4
          Koninklijke DSM require their suppliers to ensure workers are not discriminated against based on gender.
        • Inclusion of small-scale farmers
          No
          0/4
  • Commitment strength
    14/36
    Avg. score
  • Reporting and Implementation
    5/34
    Avg. score
  • Social considerations
    5/16
    Avg. score

Profile

DSM is a Dutch based multinational company that manufactures products related to health, nutrition and materials. Within its nutrition division DSM produces a diverse range of products, from brewing enzymes, to animal feed formulation. Amongst its many products palm oil and soy are used in significant quantities. As a leading manufacturer DSM is also exposed to the forest risk commodities paper and pulp.

Sector
Industry sector 
Ingredients
Segments
Manufacturer
HQ
HQ 
Netherlands
Company Type
Company type 
Public listed
Collective Commitments
Consumer Goods Forum member
New York Declaration on Forests signatory

Top Brands

Decovery, Veramaris

How we assess the Forest 500

To ensure deforestation free supply chains, companies need to adopt and implement timebound and measurable policies for forest risk commodities.

All assessments use policies published on company websites, some links may have changed or been removed since the time of assessment.

Disclaimer

This assessment has been carried out following the methodology developed for the Forest 500 project, available here. Please see our disclaimer applicable to all information contained within this site and our terms and conditions for use of data presented on this site.

All assessments use policies published on company and financial institution websites, and while we endeavor to keep them updated some links may have changed or been removed since the time of assessment.

Please contact us with any concerns or feedback about this or other assessments included in the Forest 500.